Along the same lines, I've been learning a little about natural body care, especially hair care. Have you ever heard of the "No 'Poo" method (that is, "shampoo")? Shampoo strips the hair of natural oils that keep it healthy, strong, and shiny and there are ways to clean your hair without the use of shampoo.
I know, I know. This probably seems really over the top.
But I decided to try it, and surprisingly, I love it so far! I have been doing it for just over a week now and I can honestly say my hair feels completely clean and less dry/damaged. They say it takes anywhere from a few weeks to a few months for your hair and scalp to adjust to a new system, but I'm already loving it.
Here's the method I'm using:
1. Use an old shampoo bottle or a squeeze bottle. Mix 1 part baking soda to 3 parts water. Shake well to mix.
2. Squeeze the baking soda solution onto your dry scalp, then massage your scalp for several seconds. Make sure you get your roots and can scrub - this is what cleans your scalp, but you don't need to worry about cleaning your hair at this step.
3. Leave in for 1-3 minutes, then rinse completely.
4. In a squeeze bottle (actually, I've been using an empty yogurt tub), mix 1 part white vinegar to 4 parts water. You can also add essential oils or herbs - I added a few drops of grapefruit essential oil and about a teaspoon of vanilla extract. It masks the vinegar smell and leaves your hair smelling delicious! As an aside, I was concerned my hair wouldn't smell good, so I've been annoying Shawn having him tell me if it smells bad but it hasn't at all. :)
5. Leave on hair for several seconds, then rinse.
That's it! Try it and see what you think. It will definitely save money and, possibly, save your hair if it tends to be dry and damaged.
I'll keep you updated on how it's going. And let me know if you try it, too!