That's not my photo of it, but because I forgot to take a "before" picture, I had to find one online. My parents purchased it as part of a set when I was in 5th grade, so it's had a good long life already. It was currently being used as a printer stand, and it was looking a little... well... frumpy.
It needed a facelift, and here's what it got!
For Christmas, I got a sander (and a jigsaw and a soldering iron - yippee!) and this was my first project with it.
I sanded the whole thing down, then painted it with several coats of Olympic Colonial White paint. I then took the sander to it again and sanded down the edges. I then used Early American stain by Minwax to add a little stain to some of the sanded edges. It gives it an even more worn look. I just applied it with one rag then wiped most of it up with another clean rag. I finished it off with a coat of water-based polyurethane, changed the knobs, and that's it!
More projects coming soon. :)